Sunday, July 18, 2010

Just Do It

My Run 07/17/2010




It was indeed a wonderful day. It was a Saturday so I had a chance to sleep in. I even turned my phone off before bed on Friday evening to ensure no one would wake me up in the morning. Most of the day I relaxed and recovered from the previous week. With time moving before me so swiftly I started to wonder if I would get off the couch and do my miles for the day. Isn’t funny how we are the best at making excuses for something we don’t really want to do. I was rationalizing and convincing myself that lying down on the coach was the best thing for me to do that entire day. I must have had 1 millions reasons why I shouldn’t do my miles that evening. I mean after all if was already 7:00PM on a Saturday. I had already worked out 4 times that week including my 2 runs and it was extremely hot and muggy. It was my relaxing day. Just thinking about the pain, time and humidity that would be associated with a run that evening made me want to retreat under the covers. But it was not long until I heard a still small voice rise up inside of me and say “Getup! You made a commitment to yourself and others to run this race.” Right after this I thought about how many people go through serious bouts with things such as Cancer and Chrons disease but still have it in them to train and finish these races. I began thought if these people can overcome these major obstacles and still run I can get off my butt and hold fast to the commitment I made.

So instead of continuing to think about the run I just did it. (Like the Nike commercial.) I went to the track down the street and ran my 4 miles. It truly tested me. After running those 4 miles I truly felt as though I ran 4 miles in Atlanta in the middle of July (Insane Right??) It was tough but I did it. The satisfaction I felt was wonderful. I know that I have previously run greater distances but every run I complete has a greater sense of satisfaction that the last. I accomplished something great and the pride I felt drowned out the exhaustion and pain. I did it and I know I can do it. I have everything inside of me to make it. To Run is to Live!!!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

You are the best Yanice!

Yanice said...

Thanks Wanda. I really appreciate all of your support. It means so much to me to have a person of your caliber speak so highly of me. You are great!

Derrick Douglass said...

You have come a long way baby!