Sunday, May 16, 2010

Saying I Do

Today it is Saturday May 1, 2010. On Monday we arrive in Ponta Delgada, Portugal. This is our 6th day at Sea and I am very excited about our first port. Although I am excited about all of the ports we will visit I am ecstatic about visiting Paris France with my husband. I have visited there once before. I had a great time the first time but the entire time I was there I kept wondering what it would be like to visit that wonderful city with the man of my dreams. Now another one of my dreams is coming true. It is funny how a long time ago I used to think I had to reach a certain amount of goals before I got married. After getting to a certain place in my life I realized that when I met the right person that we could reach our goals and dreams together. That is how it has been since I have met Derrick.

From the very beginning of our courtship I knew that it was something very different about Derrick. I was very happy that he was interested in getting to know who I was on the inside. We made our intentions clear to each other right from the start. As time went on and we got to know each other better I discovered that we had many of the same interests. I didn’t want to let him know all of my interests but yet I wanted him to do some exploration on his part to find out who I really was. As time went on our relationship blossomed. We moved forward and I realized that we started to do many of the things I had always dreamed about. This was our special relationship. It has boundaries that no one could penetrate. This was a very special one. I trusted Derrick. I allowed him to see me in my most vulnerable states and he did the same. Some people ask me how I knew he was the one. Well there is no exact science but I can tell you what I felt. It is like the saying goes “It Doesn’t take all day to recognize Sunshine” and Derrick was indeed my sunshine. I trusted him with my heart. He was no doubt my friend. I made a list many years ago with all of the characteristics I needed in a lifelong mate. Over the years it was revised again and again. After it was complete (before meeting Derrick) I realized that Derrick met every characteristic on the list. I also could see that he had the love of God on the inside. I could clearly see that when we crossed paths we could accommodate where each other was going in life. This is how I knew and as each day passed it became more apparent. My cousin stated at our wedding reception there were 6 words that separated Derrick from all the rest. He said “When it was just any ole guy Yanice would say “what do you think of him” when it was Derrick Yanice said “I want you to meet him” and this is how he knew. These were wonderful words to hear.

So I believe you know when all of it is clear. God will make the signs clear. It is not rocket science but one must be true to themselves in this quest. Saying I do should not be out of selfish reasons. One should have done their part to prepare their minds, bodies and spirits to be married. It should be the ultimate act of selflessness. Marriage is truly a blessing and a splendid thing for those who are ready. So for those of you wanting to take the plunge prepare yourself. Do the work required before saying “I Do”

1 comment:

Derrick Douglass said...

We all benefit from successful marriages. Healthy homes are good for the individual and for society. The individual benefits from marital bliss as it can increases personal happiness, financial stability and health benefits. Society benefits because happy individual are more likely to improve rather than undermine our communities.

We all benefit from successful marriages. Like most Yanice and I have high hopes that our union will last until “death do us part.” But, we’re realists. Happy marriages are a product of faith, love and perseverance. Early on, we opened up about our marital aspirations and challenges. Honesty and openness forms the foundation of our relationship. We love and respect and each other. We are not perfect. We will make mistakes. Our strength lays in our desire to increase our faith and to work diligently to forge a strong relationship.